In 1929, a tradition of excellence began when Mrs. Geneva Moton Haugabrooks established The Haugabrooks Funeral Home. Prior to establishing her own funeral home, Mrs. Haugabrooks managed the A.B. Cummings Funeral Home for 8 years.
With less than $300 in cash, $100 of which was her personal money, Mrs. Haugabrooks opened the doors at 257 Auburn Avenue, Atlanta. She operated with one hearse and a limited number of employees. While there she shared telephone lines with Murphy’s Springs Print Shop. She later moved to the basement of Shaw Temple Church, then to 380 Auburn Ave., and finally, in 1937 to our present location.
Mrs. Haugabrooks, who was an altruistic business lady, managed the overall operation and entrusted the day-to-day management to her nephews, Mr. C.H. Sherwood and Mr. P.L. Sherwood. After her death in January 1977, C.H. Sherwood took the helm, and after his death in April 1994, the newly incorporated funeral home was entrusted to his grandson Mr. Marcus D. Wimby.
Renovation of the present facilities began late in 1994 under the leadership of Mr. Wimby and were completed in 1995.
The mortuary is now run under a corporate structure with Mr. Wimby as CEO, Mr. James M. Tucker, President and Mr. Paul L. Sherwood as Treasurer.
The Tradition Continues . . .
Mrs. Geneva Moton Haugabrooks Obituary - 1904 - 1977
Mrs. Geneva Moton Haugabrooks, fondly remembered by family and friends as “Mama Haugabrooks and other indelible epithets passed Saturday, January 30, 1977, at her residence in Atlanta.
Born February 7, 1888 in Senia, Georgia, the youngest child of Charlie and Frances Moton, her immediate family circle included two sisters and one brother. Having grown up under the influences of Christian parents, Mrs. Haugabrooks’ name was added to the membership roll of the Oak Grove Baptist Church where she served faithfully under the leadership of Reverend A. W. Wilkerson.
Leaving her small hometown, as a young lady, Mrs. Haugabrooks ventured to Atlanta to attend Spelman Seminary, now know as Spelman College. It was not very long thereafter that she met and married Mr. Thomas Haugabrooks in December, 1907. It was at this point, Mrs. Haugabrooks decided to make Atlanta her new home, and immediately joined the Wheat Street Baptist Church family where she worked faithfully until her death.
Before establishing Haugabrooks Funeral Home in 1929, Mrs. Haugabrooks worked as a cook for Governor Slaton for some eight years, taught school at St. Marks School in Fayette County for three years and manged the A.B. Cummings Funeral Home for eight years. So Mrs. Haugabrooks took the knowledge she had gained from her experiences at the A.B. Cummings Funeral Home and started her own funeral home.
With less than $300 in cash, $100 of which was her own personal money, Geneva Haugabrooks opened the doors of Haugabrooks Funeral Home located at 257 Auburn Avenue, N.E., Atlanta, Georgia. She operated her business with one hearse and a limited number of employees. Haugabrooks Funeral Home is presently located at 364 Auburn Avenue, N.E., Atlanta, Georgia.
Mrs. Haugabrooks, who was an altruistic business lady managed the overall operation of the mortuary; however, Mrs. Haugabrooks entrusted the general management of the mortuary to her nephews, Mr. C. H. Sherwood and Mr. L. P. Sherwood.
Mrs. Haugabrooks’ sphere of interest and active participation in Religious, Business, Political, Community and Civic organizations extends world-wide.
Mrs. Geneva Moton Haugabrooks, “Mama Haugabrooks”, was a Christian who combined academic excellence with a graciousness which brought clarity and warmth to the discipline of Christian Education. She has an inexhaustible supply of love, patience, kindness, and understanding for those who were in need. Our community, city, state and nation has lost a vibrant and inspiring personality.